When anyone breaks into your home, whether it’s to burglarize your home, intimidate you, or otherwise, it can be costly to regain your possessions, put your home back together, and regain your sense of security. One sure way to increase your literal and perceived sense of security is to hire a dependable locksmith to upgrade and / or rekey all your door and window locks. Locksmith 775 is the Reno locksmith that locals call for lock changes, lock installation, and lock repair. Our mobile locksmith services are available 24 hours a day and always at affordable prices. We can help you feel safe in your home after a break-in occurs.
Immediate Steps After a Home Break-In
The following post-break-in measures were taken in part and / or inspired by Safewise.com, an independent home security review site.
- Call the police and file a report.
- If you are home when the unauthorized entry occurs, barricade yourself in a secure location, grab a weapon if you are near one, call the police and accurately describe your own appearance so the police can quickly identify who the intruder is and who the homeowner is.
- If you are not home when the unauthorized entry occurs, do not enter your home until police arrive. Do not touch anything in your home until police give you the okay to do so. You do not want to compromise any evidence in the home.
- Call your insurance company.
- Your homeowners or renter’s policy can be used to help you with home repairs and belonging replacement after a break-in. Be sure to call your insurance company within 24 hours after the break-in. Describe what was taken and its value in the best detail you can provide. An adjuster may be dispatched to assess your situation.
- Review any available security footage.
- Should you have any security footage of the break-in, be sure to give the police and your insurance company copies. Reviewing the footage can allow you to assess the mode of entry and potentially what was taken.
- Begin home reorganization and repair.
- Once the police and insurance companies give you the all-clear to begin piecing your home back together, do so ASAP. Board up broken windows until they can be repaired. Restoring your home to its original condition can aid you in returning your life to normal.
- Seek professional counseling if you can’t shake the feeling of danger.
- There is no shame at all in feeling vulnerable and unsafe after a home break-in. Talk therapy is often covered by insurance and can be sought without insurance, too. Caring for yourself is just as important as caring for your residence.
- Upgrade your home security.
- You can inexpensively purchase some burglar deterrents such as motion-sensitive lights, fake security cameras (real can be expensive), and ‘beware of dog’ signs.
- You can invest in a 3rd party monitored home security system for various costs.
- One of the surest ways to increase your home security is to call a trusted Reno locksmith.
How Can a Reno Locksmith Increase My Home’s Security?
You might not think so offhand, but a trusted locksmith can make your home much more secure after a break-in. Taking measures to ensure that your home is difficult to unlawfully enter will not only make you feel safer, it can also increase your home’s value. Capitalize on these locksmith services for increased home security.
- Get high security locks installed: standard locks can be easy to navigate for criminals. High security locks can deter lazy criminals.
- Get an intercom system installed: If you can use an intercom to speak to the criminal outside your home that is attempting unauthorized entry, you can alert the criminal that police are en route and that you are armed (whether or not either of these things are true). Criminals will often abort once they realize that the home is occupied and defensible.
- Get your locks rekeyed: In some cases, intruders will use your own hidden spare key to gain access to your home. If this happens to you, it is critical that you get all locks in your home rekeyed ASAP.
- Get sliding door locks installed: Many people take steps to secure the front and back door to their home, but fail to secure other entry points such as standard windows and sliding doors. Savvy criminals will always seek the easiest point of entry. Don’t make their crime easy.
A home break-in can be a terrifying experience, but you don’t need to endure it alone. Locksmith 775 can help you address the preventative measures above, and we can also help you with burglary repair and damaged locks. Call us for a free locksmith security consultation today.