When anyone breaks into your home, whether it’s to burglarize your home, intimidate you, or otherwise, it can be costly to regain your possessions, put your home back together, and regain your sense of security. One sure way to increase your literal and perceived sense of security is to hire a dependable locksmith to upgrade and / or rekey all your door and window locks. Locksmith 775 is the Reno locksmith that locals call for lock changes, lock installation, and lock repair. Our mobile locksmith services are available 24 hours a day and always at affordable prices. We can help you feel safe in your home after a break-in occurs.
Immediate Steps After a Home Break-In
The following post-break-in measures were taken in part and / or inspired by Safewise.com, an independent home security review site.
- Call the police and file a report.
- If you are home when the unauthorized entry occurs, barricade yourself in a secure location, grab a weapon if you are near one, call the police and accurately describe your own appearance so the police can quickly identify who the intruder is and who the homeowner is.
- If you are not home when the unauthorized entry occurs, do not enter your home until police arrive. Do not touch anything in your home until police give you the okay to do so. You do not want to compromise any evidence in the home.
- Call your insurance company.
- Your homeowners or renter’s policy can be used to help you with home repairs and belonging replacement after a break-in. Be sure to call your insurance company within 24 hours after the break-in. Describe what was taken and its value in the best detail you can provide. An adjuster may be dispatched to assess your situation.
- Review any available security footage.
- Should you have any security footage of the break-in, be sure to give the police and your insurance company copies. Reviewing the footage can allow you to assess the mode of entry and potentially what was taken.
- Begin home reorganization and repair.
- Once the police and insurance companies give you the all-clear to begin piecing your home back together, do so ASAP. Board up broken windows until they can be repaired. Restoring your home to its original condition can aid you in returning your life to normal.
- Seek professional counseling if you can’t shake the feeling of danger.
- There is no shame at all in feeling vulnerable and unsafe after a home break-in. Talk therapy is often covered by insurance and can be sought without insurance, too. Caring for yourself is just as important as caring for your residence.
- Upgrade your home security.
- You can inexpensively purchase some burglar deterrents such as motion-sensitive lights, fake security cameras (real can be expensive), and ‘beware of dog’ signs.
- You can invest in a 3rd party monitored home security system for various costs.
- One of the surest ways to increase your home security is to call a trusted Reno locksmith.
How Can a Reno Locksmith Increase My Home’s Security?
You might not think so offhand, but a trusted locksmith can make your home much more secure after a break-in. Taking measures to ensure that your home is difficult to unlawfully enter will not only make you feel safer, it can also increase your home’s value. Capitalize on these locksmith services for increased home security.
- Get high security locks installed: standard locks can be easy to navigate for criminals. High security locks can deter lazy criminals.
- Get an intercom system installed: If you can use an intercom to speak to the criminal outside your home that is attempting unauthorized entry, you can alert the criminal that police are en route and that you are armed (whether or not either of these things are true). Criminals will often abort once they realize that the home is occupied and defensible.
- Get your locks rekeyed: In some cases, intruders will use your own hidden spare key to gain access to your home. If this happens to you, it is critical that you get all locks in your home rekeyed ASAP.
- Get sliding door locks installed: Many people take steps to secure the front and back door to their home, but fail to secure other entry points such as standard windows and sliding doors. Savvy criminals will always seek the easiest point of entry. Don’t make their crime easy.
A home break-in can be a terrifying experience, but you don’t need to endure it alone. Locksmith 775 can help you address the preventative measures above, and we can also help you with burglary repair and damaged locks. Call us for a free locksmith security consultation today.
Hasseling with locks is a pain, but changing your locks just got easier with Reno Locksmith 775.
Locksmith775 is a customer focused professional locksmith service in Reno.
Whether it’s time to rekey your home, rekey the locks in your car, or change all the locks on your home or small business altogether, call Reno Locksmith 775. Our technicians are qualified with the best lock systems for the safety needs of an office building, retail establishment, school, warehouses, and more. When choosing a locksmith repair service in Reno, it is important to ensure that you are choosing a trusted and certified locksmith. Changing your locks is an important job, and if you can’t trust the service provider you’ve enlisted, you may be getting more than you bargained for, and not in a good way.
If there is any question that someone may have a copy of your key – you need to change your locks. The most common request for lock changes is for new homeowners. When you are in the process of purchasing a home or selling a home for that matter, there are many people that have access to the home in question. There are inspectors, real estate agents, contractors, inspectors, and prospective buyers that are walking through your home very often. Whether maliciously or not, copies of the keys to your locks were probably made, leaving you vulnerable to break-in or to unwanted visitors.
Changing Your Locks
If you’re looking for someone to change locks in Reno, call Locksmith 775. Our locksmith company in the Reno area offers the highest quality door locks, master key systems, panic bars and all other security products for your office, storefront, or residence.
Locksmith 775 can perform all of the below services and more to meet your emergency!
- Emergency Vehicle Opening
- Car Lockout
- Car Keys Made
- Transponder Keys
- Key Fob
- Remote Start
- Car Rekey
- Ignition Cylinder Replacement
- Duplication of Lost Ignition Keys
- Extraction of Broken Ignition Keys
- Ignition Switch Replacement
- Luxury Automotive Assistance
A “master key system” is a system used primarily by businesses, especially office buildings, in which people who have access to specific areas are each given a specific key that can access specific areas of the building. There’s a ton of benefits to master key systems:
- Better access control
- Minimizing the number of keys that are being used
- Saving money on key replacement costs
- Quick access to specific areas or all areas for management and security personnel
- Can save lives in emergency situations
- Keys cannot be copied without your permission
People are often confused by master key lock systems, so here we want to elaborate on what a master key lock system is and how it actually works. Basically, one key can open two doors, but another key opens one of the doors, but not the other. Confusing, right?
A master key system allows two or more keys to open one lock. To make a master key system, you need locks and keys that are the same make and model, and a way to re-key those locks. Pin tumbler master locks use a master wafer, or pin, in between the key pin and the driver pin.
- Keys cannot be copied without your permission, expressly.
This is a great aspect of master lock systems.
The Four Types of Master Key Systems
GMG System – The GMG system, or General Main Group system, is a hierarchical structure consisting of a general master key, subordinate keys and own keys. The structure of a General Main Group system is very similar to that of a company. This type of master key system is commonly used by administration and infrastructure companies.
Main Key System – A main key system is a system in which locks are given different cylinder configurations that correspond to specific keys. These are primarily used by businesses in the commercial sector.
Central lock system with technical master key – You will see this type of master key system in use by Homeowner’s associations and other types of housing developments. Locks on individual dwellings or flats are given different locking cylinders that are tied to specific keys. A master key is also typically provided that unlocks maintenance areas where maintenance equipment is stored.
Combined master key system – In this type of master key system, doors are protected by both mechanical and electronic locks. These locks can only be unlocked with the correct ID card. The card will have the appropriate combination code that unlocks the door.
If you have a large facility in Reno and need your Master Lock System checked, updated, or installed, contact the talented team of Master Key System specialists at Locksmith 775.
Do you have a damaged lock? Locksmith 775 has answered some frequently asked questions below. If the answers provided do not help you out, please do not hesitate to call and ask us whatever you need!
If My Lock is Broken, Should I Attempt to Repair It or Replace It?
The answer to this question is different every time and our Locksmith 775 technician will not be able to give you an answer until they have assessed the damage to the lock. In most cases, a broken lock can be repaired, but in some cases, they cannot be. Our locksmith team has seen many broken locks, and we have repaired the majority of them with our expert lock repair services. If the lock is broken beyond repair, then the Locksmith 775 technician will advise you on the recommended course of action and will help you choose the correct replacement lock for your residence.
When Is It Time to Repair My Lock?
When your lock is no longer functional and you believe it is no longer a safe and secure means of protecting your property, then it is undeniably time to repair it. It is simple to spot when your lock is no longer working the same way because you use it every day. Some locks will need repair because they were exposed a lot of external elements (weather, temperature, water,etc.), while others will be in need of repair purely because they have become degraded over extended periods of continuous use. Some of these aged locks move haltingly or offer up a lot more obstruction than they normally would. This is a great sign to a homeowner that they are in need of some lock repair.
How Much Time Will It Take a Reno Locksmith to Repair My Lock?
It will probably take our expert locksmiths between 20 to 30 minutes to repair your home lock. However, that time frame changes based on the fact that every lock repair is different from the next, and there is no definitive way to say the duration of the service without knowing just how much the lock has been damaged. It could be an easy fix like readjusting the strike plate or it could be something more complicated that involves modifying an interior part of the lock. No matter the issue, our Reno Locksmiths are ready and able to help you out. If the lock is beyond repair, they will offer you the essential advice and service you by replacing the lock.
What Do I Do If My Key no Longer Turns In the Lock?
If your key is no longer rotating in the lock, then that is a serious indicator that your lock is in need of repair. Before you contact the experts at Reno Locksmith 775, you need to attempt lubricating the keyway and try using the lock again. If there is no improvement, then it is a warning of feasible lock malfunction. You might not have to replace the lock! Just have our Reno Locksmith technicians have a gander to determine what the issue is and try to repair it.
Like everything exposed to nature and it’s elements, locks need to be repaired and maintained from as time progresses. The locksmithing industry has, yet, to invent an eternal lock that can stand the trial of time and continuous use. It is essential that you notify an expert locksmith as soon as you sense there might be an issue with your home lock. The faster you contact us, the simpler it will be for us to maintain the lock, rather than having to change it. Many lock malfunctions are caused by minor issues that compound on themselves because homeowners fail to handle them right away.
In some cases, you will have to contact a locksmith immediately, in order to avoid causing any further damage to the lock. For example, if you accidentally break a key off in the lock, contact a locksmith ASAP to help you with your lock repair. Here are some of the reasons you might need your lock repaired and some of the ways an expert locksmith from Locksmith 775 can help you:
- Breaking a Key in the Lock
- Breaking a key off in a lock happens more often then most people would think. It happens for many reasons. One of those reasons could be you might have been applying too much pressure when attempting to open the lock, and this caused the key to bend and break inside the lock mechanism. No matter what the reason is, it is essential that you contact an experienced locksmith to help you repair your lock. Leaving a lock without maintenance for an extended period of time is one of the simplest ways to lessening the security of your residence. Once our Reno locksmith technicians have arrived, they will try to remove the broken key from the lock and proceed to assess the lock to make sure that all of its internal parts remained undamaged when the key broke inside it. To extract a broken key from inside the lock gears, the experienced locksmith will evaluate the nature of the lock to see which techniques they can use. If there is a segment of the broken key sticking out of the lock, then the repair process becomes a lot more straightforward. Our expert will lubricate the lock gears and advance to grip the part that is sticking out so that it can be drawn out. However, in the majority of cases, there is no area of the key sticking out of the lock, so our locksmiths will use a broken key extractor tool. The broken key extractor tool is utilized by catching the piece of the key stuck in the lock and slowly pulling it out. It is essential that the lock is lubricated before this extraction process commences. This will make the process much simpler, and aid in the removal of the broken key. The broken key extractor tool is a necessary part of the lock repair process.
- Deadbolt is Stuck
- If your deadbolt is not functioning the way that you should, it is probably in need of maintenance. Your deadbolt is likely malfunctioning because the internal components are misaligned. The deadbolt might not be working because it is not able to find and fit correctly into the strike plate, or more accurately the throat of the strike plate. If this is the issue, make sure you call an expert locksmith urgently, so that they can assist you. Our expert locksmiths will proceed to try and identify exactly what is causing the deadbolt to malfunction. If the strike plate is not fixed and even with the deadbolt, then the expert will take it off and reorient it to make sure that the deadbolt rests securely within the throat of the strike plate. This is one of the more straightforward lock repair tactics, although it only works when there is an issue with the deadbolt. The locksmith technician can also try to grind a part of the deadbolt down so that it can rest securely within the strike plate.
- Latch is Misaligned
- A universal cause of lock repair for many exterior doors, because natural element stripping is one of the main causes of the latch becoming misaligned. Don’t worry! For our expert locksmith, this situation has a simple fix. Our locksmiths will maneuver the stripping further back on the door frame, saving them time and you cash! Homeowners, sometimes, try very hard to fix these things themselves, not realizing that the solution is so simple. Their efforts, usually, just cause more work and more damage. Give your Reno Locksmith a ring today if you need any assistance with lock repair.